10 Best Bike Helmets – Buying Guide and Reviews
Bike helmets are just as important as the bike you choose because they ensure your safety when on the road. If you are tempted to pinch pennies as far as these are concerned, you may want to think twice because that could get you a substandard product that won’t do you any good in the event of an accident.
Some of the best bike helmets are unique to the type of bike you choose to ride; Road helmets – for road bikes – are light with several vents, mountain bike helmets are sturdy and padded for cover in case of crashes, and commuter helmets have few vents and are more casual than the other two. Purpose, style, and budget are only some of the things to consider when buying a new bike helmet, but will discuss that further in the buying guide. For now, a review of ten of the best.
Table of Contents
- Best Bike Helmets – Reviews & Buying Guide
- 1. The CM-1 Classic Helmet by Retrospec
- 2. Schwinn Thrasher Lightweight Microshell Bicycle Helmet
- 3. JBM Adult Cycling Bike Helmet – Unisex
- 4. MOKFIRE Adult Bike Helmet
- 5. Bell Richter Youth Helmet
- 6. Krash Black Gator Youth Mohawk Helmet
- 7. Thousand Adult Anti-Theft Bike Helmet
- 8. MOKFIRE Adult Bike Helmet
- 9. KINGBIKE Ultralight Bike Helmet
- 10. Basecamp Bike Helmet
- Buying Guide – Bike Helmets
- FAQs – Bike Helmets
Best Bike Helmets – Reviews & Buying Guide
1. The CM-1 Classic Helmet by Retrospec
Retrospec’s CM-1 Classic commuter helmet is the ideal helmet for an everyday biker who needs stability, lightweight protection, and just enough vents to get them through a ride. The design is easy, and the outer part of the helmet is all ABS plastic for durability while inside the helmet, EPS foam adds extra padding for comfort and protection.
From being safe to feeling comfortable, it has many things to offer. It features a good design and proper choice of material that helps to protect you from head injuries.
The manufacturer added eight vents to ensure users experience more comfort. To fit your preference, adjust the interchangeable pair of pads that come with it till the helmet feels good on your head. Also, there are a plethora of colors, and that gives you the freedom to pick one that suits you. It is also exciting that after undergoing tests, this helmet proves to serve its purpose perfectly.
- Made with a high-quality foam material.
- Pretty light, making it ideal for leisure and sporting activities
- It comes in various sizes.
- Pocket-friendly price.
- Dimensions do not cover children aged 14 and below.
2. Schwinn Thrasher Lightweight Microshell Bicycle Helmet
The Schwinn Thrasher Micro shell helmet is an excellent lightweight helmet for adults that comes in sizes that can fit people of different ages and head dimensions, starting from 14-year-olds. This particular one perfectly fits someone with a head circumference of 22.88 up to 24.5 inches. It comes with a manual letting you know how to use and care for it so it can serve you well for long.
To ensure you feel comfortable in it, the helmet with a system that allows you to adjust it by dialing. This system pairs with a full range padding that ensures it perfectly fits your custom needs. Also, it has a micro shell that enhances its durability without making you feel like you’re walking with a load on your head. The increased friction in the helmet rotates tour head in case of a crash to reduce the chances of a concussion.
- Straps to adjust the fitting.
- Fixing it is made simpler by the dial fit system
- It comes with 21 vents for proper air circulation.
- It has a visor to protect your eyes from direct sunlight.
- There are no sizes for children below 14 years.
3. JBM Adult Cycling Bike Helmet – Unisex
This JBM helmet certification by the CPSC is not only unisex, but it also meets your safety needs by bearing protective padding and a tough outer material. It is quite easy to adjust it to your head size being as it has a reasonably wide range for head dimensions. It has both the side straps and a user-friendly dial fit system that aids the adjustment process. And, it is ideal for both genders can use it, but mostly only adults will find their ideal size. Its design is one that ensures comfortability when riding a bicycle or enjoying any sport.
This helmet has one of the best material combinations since the manufacturer uses PC and PVC to make it sturdy and even more durable than most other helmets. The EPS foam in it prevents concussions by reducing impact during a crash. These materials absorb the impact that may occur if you hit your head on a hard surface.
- It has enough vents for ventilation and good air flow.
- The material is lightweight.
- Extra padding makes the helmet protective and comfortable.
- Comes in up to 10 different color options.
- Some customers do not think it’s worth the price
4. MOKFIRE Adult Bike Helmet
It is a lightweight helmet for both genders that comes with a rechargeable USB light and is among the few CPSC certified biker helmets. It comes with a detachable visor lining that measures between 22.05 and 24.41 inches for protection from direct sunlight and rain. Whether you’re going for mountain biking or just cycling, the MOKFIRE Adult bike helmet is an excellent accessory to bring along.
It comes with a rechargeable light that makes it ideal to ride even in the dark, increasing its advantages over most regular helmets on the market. You can adjust it to either steady, flashy, or low light depending on your requirements. MOKFIRE uses EPS foam in molding the helmet. On the outside, the helmet has a polycarbonate shell that ensures durability and enhances your safety when riding. The MOKFIRE helmet weighs only 300 grams; you won’t even feel it on your head. That makes it comfortable for both mountain climbing and cycling.
- Has 22 vents that help to keep you cool even under hot weather.
- You can adjust it to your size by just dialing a button.
- It comes with a bag that protects your hair and can also act as a carrier
- Most customers initially find it challenging to operate the light
5. Bell Richter Youth Helmet
The Bell Richter is one of the best-rated helmets online. It could be because it is a youth helmet, and they make up the highest online population. However, it is also one of the best designs of helmets, both stylish and modern. The manufacturer recommends that only youth aged between 8 to 14 years use this product.
It has an accurate fit system that not only ensures that your head fits perfectly but also makes you comfortable in it. The pinch guard buckle that comes with it makes it easy for you to adjust it to your needs. Also, the Bell Richter youth helmet fits head sizes of between 54 to 58, which is perfect for most 8-14-year-olds. The black riot color enhances its look and makes it more suitable for the young generation.
- It comes with a visor that works alongside the 16 vents to ensure that you feel cool
- A pinch guard is in place to make sure the pinch buckle stays intact
- It has a tapeless technology that makes it stylish
- It does not have a removable liner
6. Krash Black Gator Youth Mohawk Helmet
This Krash Gator helmet is both CPSC and ASTM certify it. It is designed for and perfectly fits those between 8 and 14 years and you can tell this by looking at its design. It is not only spiky at the top t resemble a Mohawk, but the slanted design also suits a trendy and stylish audience that appreciates art. Also, it comes with straps that buckle at the lower chin to help keep the helmet in position even when it gets windy.
The Krash Black Gator Youth Mohawk helmet design allows you to adjust it to your head size. However, you should ensure that your head size is between 54 to 58 CM. This makes it unsuitable for adult use because their head sizes maybe a little bigger than the recommended size. This helmet is perfect for different outdoor activities, both sporting, and leisure. It is both comfortable and light to move around with.
- It comes with adjustable straps that allow you to adjust it to your correct fit
- It has good graphics drawings that make it modern and attractive
- Aerodynamic vents that make cooling easier even in the summer
- It is only limited to a small age group.
7. Thousand Adult Anti-Theft Bike Helmet
This adult piece has a unique anti-theft feature attached to it. Once you are away, you can lock it with your bike, and no one can take it without the secret pop up lock. It is one of the best-rated helmets and comes in an assortment of sizes. However, most people recommend that new users go for smaller sizes. It is white and suitable for adults who, unlike the youth, do not like wearing multi-colored helmets.
The thousand adults’ anti-theft helmet meets the necessary standards set by both the CPSC and EN1078. It is because of the way the manufacturer has built it. The material helps to prevent head injuries and also ensures that it is durable. Also, the straps are adjustable to help you get a better fit or hold the helmet in place for smooth cycling.
- Adjust the two sets of interior padding on the helmet to customize its fit.
- It is lightweight and ideal for everyday commute.
- The anti-theft feature makes it hard to lose.
- It has no certifications for use with scooters.
8. MOKFIRE Adult Bike Helmet
This Mokfire bike helmet is one of the company’s most stylish designs. It’s an adult bike helmet that is both light in weight and comfortable to wear, while at the same time containing just the right number of vents for ventilation. It has a good design for easy adjustment as long as you select the right head dimensions. It is also certified for use by cyclists both by the CPSC and CE, which means it meets the safety requirements set out by the two bodies.
The manufacturer builds it to be both light in weight and strong enough to last a long time. The material includes an EPS foam that has both high quality and density. It protects your head from any injuries by absorbing the shock when you hit an object or surface. Also, it has the PC shell material that makes it durable, and therefore, you won’t be replacing or repairing it now and then.
- It is well ventilated to allow air to flow from the front to the back leaving a cool breeze
- It has pads that are soft and washable to make you feel more comfortable
- You can use it for commuter transport because it has a rear LED light that makes motorists notice you even in the dark
- Some reviewers felt the sizes were smaller than indicated.
9. KINGBIKE Ultralight Bike Helmet
This super light helmet is black, lightweight and a well-liked product from KINGBIKE that is certified for cycling by both CPSC and CE. It is easy to carry around because it is light and comes with a portable backpack. Also, you can use it for commuting even on busy streets since it has a rear light that alerts motorists. It can be used by both males and females and also in varying sizes according to individual needs.
It meets the requirements of the certifying companies because of its safety and durability. The safety measures taken in the manufacture are impressive because the backlight has three modes. Depending on how you want to communicate with other road users, you can switch from the low to fast flash or always-on mode. That makes it safe and more comfortable for use even in the nights.
- The polycarbonate and EPS material are ultra-light to make the whole helmet easy to carry.
- It has 24 vents that enhance ventilation to make it ideal for use in the summer
- It comes with a visor and a portable bag.
- Customers complained of broken buckles
10. Basecamp Bike Helmet
It is a CPSC certified helmet for both cycling and mountain climbing. It comes with a detachable visor that you can attach only when necessary. Also, it has a rear LED light at the back for road safety and a backpack for portability when you’re not wearing your helmet. It is one of the most comfortable helmets that enhance your cycling or mountain climbing experience.
The basecamp bike helmet has a high-density material i.e. EPS and PC foam that offers the protection your head needs if an accident occurs. These inner materials also combine with the outer polycarbonate material to ensure that you do not get injured. They absorb the shock in all directions to ensure that you are safe and sound. It has vents that reduce air resistance and also minimize sweating to make your cycling smoother.
- It has an LED backlight that makes it safe to use in traffic
- It features easy to adjust sizes; therefore, you can never miss your preference
- Detachable magnetic google that helps to prevent your eyes from harmful UV rays
- The rear LED light does not have turn signals.
Buying Guide – Bike Helmets
You know the most important quality of a bike helmet is to protect your head from injuries, but are there specific things you should be looking out for? Yes, and all that is discussed in this segment.
When there is only a helmet between your head and the hard tarmac, the first thing you should concern yourself with is regulation. Is it certified by the body taxed with this responsibility? The Consumer Product Safety Commission – CPSC – is the US’s body to check for when looking at certification, and the label for this will found inside the helmet.
Some of the conditions that companies have to meet to be certified include the right amount of padding, a good outer cover made of the right quality ABS material, and friction as well as rotational forces. Some makers conduct in-house tests that they will outline on their website, but you want that to be on top of the CPSC certification.
Multi-directional Impact Protection System – MIPS
Concussions are among the most common eventualities when bike accidents happen, and so companies are incorporating some technologies to prevent these. Multi-directional Impact Protection System – MIPS – is a low-friction layer that makers build in your helmet to rotate your head in the event of an accident. Different brands have theirs made and inserted uniquely while others have slip planes inside the helmet for the same reason. While buying, you may want to look out for this feature.
Connection to Other Devices
Helmets have connected technology these days so you can connect yours with your phone or an app to monitor your activity. Some helmets have sensors that will note abrupt decelerations that could indicate a crash, and if all signs show abnormal activity, the sensor sends signals to your app that then alerts your next of kin that you could be in an accident. It even sends the co-ordinates for your location. If you are mostly on the road, you may want to have this feature in your helmet.
Type of Bike
The bike you use determines the type of helmet you are likely to prefer. An everyday commuter bike is mostly only used for a few hours, and so you won’t be sweating on the road all day. This helmet is quite casual with only a few vents and so it is not designed to be worn for several hours.
Mountain bike helmets have several vents and good padding to protect you from impact when you crash, while road helmets are vented, sleek, and lightweight to be bearable for long hours.
FAQs – Bike Helmets
Conclusion – Wrapping Up
Found the perfect fit? Riding a bike through trails over the weekend – or even commuting in one daily – is fun and sustainable if you are concerned about emission, but it is only safe if you get yourself the best bike helmet on the market. We hope the reviews above helped with that and the buying guide also opened your eyes to what options you have. Stay safe while on your bike!