10 Best Portable Camping Lanterns In 2021: Buying Guide and Review
What do you want out of your portable camping lanterns? That’s easy. You want it to be durable, rugged, weatherproof, and you also want it to illuminate the way for you in the wee hours of the morning as you try to find your way around an unfamiliar block of camping toilets. Isn’t it funny though that we only think of lanterns when we are out in the darkness?
While a headlamp is great – hands-free, light – it is also limited in the amount of light it illuminates. Its light is directional and not full-spectrum and so you will not get the full benefits that a portable lantern gives. We have put together a buying guide and unbiased review of the 10 best portable camping lanterns on the market this year.
Table of Contents
- Best Portable Camping Lanterns – Reviews & Buying Guide
- 1. Etekcity 4 Pack LED Camping Lantern Portable Flashlight
- 2. Vont 2 Pack LED Camping Lantern
- 3. MalloMe LED Camping Lantern
- 4. Tough Light LED Rechargeable Lantern
- 5. Odoland Portable LED Camping Lantern
- 6. EZORKAS 2 Pack Camping Lantern
- 7. LE LED Camping Lantern
- 8. SUAOKI Led Camping Lantern
- 9. Energizer LED Camping Lantern Flashlight
- 10. Gold Armour 4 Pack Portable
- Portable Lanterns – Buying Guide
- Camping Lanterns – FAQs
Best Portable Camping Lanterns – Reviews & Buying Guide
1. Etekcity 4 Pack LED Camping Lantern Portable Flashlight
If you want a lantern that is compact, consumes little energy and uses 12 AA batteries, then this Etekcity 4 Pack LED Camping Lantern is your go-to. If measures 7.4 x 5.4 x 7.2 inches, weighs 9 ounces and is backed by a 10-year warranty from the manufacturer. It is compact, made of ABS that handles any weather and ruggedness, and has handles for portability. The handles are collapsible to make it even smaller when you have to pack it in your bag. It does put out 360° luminous and full brightness that is ideal for camps, RVs and even at home during a power outage.
When you want to adjust the brightness, you simply need to alter the height using the foldable handles. It can shine brightly for 12 hours after one charge even at full-spectrum. 60 lumens are quite sufficient for a sole camper in a tent or RV, but you would need more if you were looking to shine lots of light in a large area.
- Bright 360-degree illumination.
- Handles for portability and brightness adjustment.
- The batteries are rechargeable.
- Not water-resistant.
2. Vont 2 Pack LED Camping Lantern
This lantern that uses LED technology is one of the most portable and brightest, and it is powered by three AA batteries that you can recharge. The marker says a single recharge will give you over 12 hours of bright – highest setting – 360-degree illumination. It measures 7.6 x 5.4 x 3.8 inches and weighs 10oz with batteries inside. Its lumen capacity is 140, which is quite bright for a camper or backpacker. Average battery life is 12 – 30 hours depending on how bright your remains, and you can count on the mater backing it for a lifetime.
The material, ABS, is quite hard and can handle harsh conditions. Its aircraft grade material will survive a 10-foot drop without breaking a thing, which is why frequent travelers get this torch. It also is IP44 water and dust resistant, which adds to its charm. It has two steel handles that are foldable for portability.
- Lifetime guarantee.
- Material is hard to break and waterproof.
- Has 30 powerful LEDs that illuminate at 360 degrees.
- Efficient battery consumption.
- Has no energy-saving mode.
- The light can be a little blinding at night.
3. MalloMe LED Camping Lantern
If you want a lamp that will stand the test of time, then get yourself a MalloMe LED Camping Lantern. It is built of approved military grade abs material that can handle just about anything including a 10-foot drop, and its 146 lumens are bright enough to shine an entire RV.
Moreover, it is already small when unfolded but it collapses even further into this tiny packable product that you can take anywhere. It uses two AA batteries that you recharge when used, and one charge lasts over 12 hours. This torch shines brightly all through and because the light is distributed – 360-degrees – it will not harm your eyes.
It comes in several exciting colors – black, red, pink, blue, green, purple, yellow, and gold. It is also reasonably priced and a one-time purchase – unless you lose yours when camping. And it is water-resistant too. Though it has no high/low settings, most reviewers say it is an efficient battery consumer.
- Several colors for variety and option.
- Bright and lightweight.
- No high/low settings.
- Some reviewers say the construction is a little flimsy.
4. Tough Light LED Rechargeable Lantern
If you are going out with a group of people and need enough light for everyone, then you may want to try this Tough Light LED Rechargeable Lantern. Equipped with 400 lumens and with the ability to withstand a 5-foot drop, this lantern is rugged and durable. It also helps that the maker backs it with a 2-year warranty.
A single charge of the premium 6000mAh Li-ion battery will give you 200 hours of light, and you can also use a USB cable to recharge it when it is low. IPX-6 water resistance feature means it can handle water quite well, and the material used makes it a good performer even when subjected to the toughest elements. It is not the most compact, but it makes up for that size with its ability to light a wide circumference.
- A single recharge can last for two hours.
- Resistant to water and will not crack when it drops.
- Bright enough to light up a roomful of people – 400 lumens.
- Charges using a USB cable.
- Not the smallest.
5. Odoland Portable LED Camping Lantern
The Odoland Portable LED Camping Lantern is a camping fan and torch in one. You can turn the fan on without the light and vice versa. Measuring 6.25 x 6.25 x 7.25 inches, this lamp stands on its own but can also be hanged using the handles at the top. It uses 2 D batteries that can shine for up to 5 hours on high mode. You can maximize runtime by switching it to low and turning off the fan when not in use. Most reviewers note that the hum from the fan is peaceful that even a child can sleep through it.
The lamp is made of military-grade material that will withstand a lot of tough love. It is rugged, weatherproof while remaining lightweight for portability. With 18 individual low-powered LED bulbs, this lamp illuminates brightly and can sufficiently cover a room in an RV. The handle/hook also makes it possible to orient the light anywhere.
- Has a fan that only produces a slight hum.
- Has 18 LED bulbs for sufficient lighting.
- Compact and portable.
- High and low-speed modes.
- The number of lumens is quite low.
6. EZORKAS 2 Pack Camping Lantern
Made of ABS military material, the EZORKAS 2 Pack Camping Lantern is one of the toughest there is as it can handle a 10-foot drop. It also has a 360-degree coverage and is compact enough to bring with you to camp and safari. The handle at the top is ideal for portability as well as hanging inside your camping tent or RV, and the 3 strong magnets make it possible to set it down. It has four lighting modes; COB LED, Lantern, Flashlight, Red Warning Light for SOS calls. It is powered by three AA batteries and you can recharge it using a USB cable. The batteries are not included in the package but they are readily available on shops.
The body is water-resistant and COB led bulb reduces the chances of this lantern being damaged in extreme weather, meaning you can use it even in the worst weather.
- Bright with several lumens.
- USB charging that makes it easy to recharge.
- Water-resistant and the bulb will not be destroyed by storms.
- The batteries will only be on high mode for two hours before needing a recharge.
7. LE LED Camping Lantern
If you are looking for a lantern with an IPX4 protection grade and quite bright, then the LE LED Camping Lantern might be the one. With 1,000 lumens, you can be certain it is one of the brightest there are on the market. It uses three 1.5V D batteries that are not included in the package and will illuminate at a 360-degree angle that is ideal for houses and RVs. Most reviewers agree it is too bright for a tent unless you switch settings to low.
With just one long press on the button, you can adjust the lantern’s brightness between its four modes; 300lm (warm white), 700lm (cool white), 1000lm (cool white) and 1000lm (flash mode). You can remove the cap and then turn it upside down to use in storms or outdoors. This lantern is backed by a 2-year warranty.
- Turn it upside down and hang it on a tree.
- 1000 lumens and four modes.
- Energy-saving mode.
- The light is a little too bright when the lantern is on high-speed mode.
8. SUAOKI Led Camping Lantern
The SUAOKI Led Camping Lantern is solar-powered and water-resistant. It measures 98 x 96 x 55 mm and only weighs 5.6 oz., which makes it easily transportable. It uses an 800mAh Lithium battery and when left for a few hours in direct sunlight, and recharges fully to illuminate for about 5 hours under full-speed mode. This lantern also has three modes; high, low, and flashing light.
With 100 lumens, this lantern is bright enough for a camper. It will not blind you with too much brightness nor will it get damaged by water as it is water-resistant. The material that makes it is military-grade which withstands harsh treatment. With a USB charger, you can charge it fully through your laptop when the sun fails to shine.
- The three modes enable you to save energy.
- 360-degree illumination.
- Can be charged using a USB cable when there is no direct sun.
- Solar-charged lanterns need long hours under direct sunlight to charge fully.
9. Energizer LED Camping Lantern Flashlight
Because the Energizer LED Camping Lantern Flashlight has three modes; high, low, and night light, it makes it easier for your eyes to adjust to the darkness. It has 500 lumens that are sufficient for all the lighting you need for a campsite with more than five people and/or an RV. This lantern is battery-powered and you can charge it using the USB cable that makes up this package.
For power, this lantern uses max D batteries that are not included in the package. It has one button that you use to switch between all three modes labelled as well as change the brightness of the light. Though it looks a little large, it folds into this compact gear that you can take anywhere with you.
- Bright – 500 lumens.
- 360-degree illumination for the full view of anything within a wide radius.
- It is water-resistant.
- Compact and light.
- The batteries are a little hard to replace.
10. Gold Armour 4 Pack Portable
This lantern uses 3 AA batteries, comes with a 15-year warranty from the manufacturer, and has a magnetic base. It has 500 lumens in the bulb to stay lit on high mode for up to five hours before dimming. Made with military-grade and water-resistant plastic, this lantern can stand drops, rough handling and outdoor use for years.
It has a collapsible design and steel handles to hold and carry it from one place to another, and when folded it will take up little space in a bag. It has a magnetic base for sticking on the fridge during emergent power outages. You can also hang it from trees using the handle. This lantern is versatile and efficient because the maker says one set of batteries lasts 12 hours on high mode.
- The magnetic base makes it stable on stone surfaces.
- 500 lumens are bright enough for any night.
- Collapsible and portable.
- 15 years warranty from the manufacturer.
- Some reviewers said a few lights stopped working after some time.
Portable Lanterns – Buying Guide
Camping Lanterns – FAQs
There is no doubt that lanterns are the only meaningful way to light up a campsite. Funny how you only realize this when you are out there without a lantern! As we have discussed, source of fuel, number of batteries, weight, and durability are some of the factors you want to look at before buying a portable lantern. You also want yours to be rugged and weatherproof because the elements can be quite punishing. If you get the right lantern, then you are set for a long time. It really could be years till you need to buy another one, so make the right choice. Also, have fun and stay safe!