Best Portable Travel Freezers In 2019 – Buying Guide and Review
In this article, we not only review our top-ten portable travel freezers, but we also have a detailed buying guide and FAQ just for you.
Your friends have been insisting that you join them for the annual camp where all your old friends link up to reminisce about the good old days. They have you sold – well, almost – when they paint a picture of all 10 of you former college best buddies laughing about the days gone, and forgetting about the present for all of three days. You will hunt game, go fishing, even swim competitively, and of course, network amongst yourselves. This all sounds really good but for one thing; an ice-cold beer. You can’t talk about college without drinking to the old times, and you all know a warm beer does not count.
So what to do? Well, you don’t have to postpone this meeting anymore when you can get the best portable travel freezers on the market!
Table of Contents
- Portable Travel Freezers – Review & Buyer’s Guide
- 1. Alpicool CF55 Portable Refrigerator
- 2. ARB 10801602 Portable Fridge Freezer
- 3. CHO Power Sports Portable Freezer
- 4. Icecube 31qt Mini-Series 12V Portable Electric Refrigerator
- 5. ARB 10801352 Portable Fridge Freezer
- 6. Dometic CFX 95DZW 12v Electric Powered Portable Cooler
- 7. Ausranvik Car Fridge Portable Freezer
- 8. COSTWAY Car Freezer
- 9. ICECO Portable Refrigerator
- 10. Engel MR040F-U1 40-Qt Portable Tri-Voltage Fridge
- What to Look for in Portable Travel Freezers
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) on Portable Travel Freezers
Portable Travel Freezers – Review & Buyer’s Guide
1. Alpicool CF55 Portable Refrigerator
The Alpicool CF55 Portable Refrigerator is a compact 12-volt refrigerator compressor that keeps your food and drinks cold anywhere. It is reasonably priced and for its compact size, you get enough space for up to 25 cans of food and drinks – which translates to about 20 liters. This travel freezer has a simple design as it I just a box with cooling abilities.
It has both the Max and Eco mode, but Eco is much better as it saves energy. However, it only works well when the fridge is plugged into t a source of power – a running car or a wall outlet. It is easy to maintain and will easily serve you for years as long as you take care of It. It is made of hard plastic but because of its nature, you would have to be careful when placing it on the ground to avoid ruining the base.
One other likeable feature of this freezer is the adjustable temperature setting that lets you decide how much power you want to unleash.
- Reasonable price.
- Adjustable temperature setting.
- Simple design.
- The battery-saving setting only kicks in when the battery is almost drained.
2. ARB 10801602 Portable Fridge Freezer
The ARB 10801602 Portable Fridge Freezer is an improvement of previous models and it comes with new fun features. It has a removable lid where previously it was attached the freezer, and now you can switch from Celsius to Fahrenheit.
Even when you are away from your freezer, you can keep an eye on the settings with a new Bluetooth feature that is compatible with Android, iOS, and ARB LINX. You get an alert when something needs your attention – such as the door being left open, and you can make temperature adjustments wherever you are with this feature. You can also remotely adjust the light when you realize it is too bright and consuming power too much. The ARB Fridge Freezer app allows you to make any adjustments you need whether manually or remotely, and you can even set a target temperature setting.
- A dimmable, backlit touchpad that makes it possible to operate the fridge in dimly lit areas.
- A Bluetooth transmitter so you can make adjustments even when physically away from the freezer.
- You can switch between Celsius and Fahrenheit.
- Adjust the light when it is too bright.
- Some reviewers say the construction is a little flimsy.
3. CHO Power Sports Portable Freezer
The Cho Power Sports Portable Freezer weighs 28lbs and can hold up to 40 liters. It has a simple design that also incorporates some of the most vital elements of a portable freezer. It is installed with a USB port for charging your devices when you are on the road, and it also has a
This freezer has a telescopic handle so you can drag it the same way you would a suitcase, and its durable wheels make it easy to negotiate any terrain. The insulation on this fridge makes it a great investment because tour drinks and food will stay cool for as long as it is turned on. Its capacity also makes it great for large families. You can set it on either ECO or HH mode depending on how much cooling you need, and it won’t drain your battery.
- Portable thanks to its wheels and telescopic handle.
- An insulator that works hard to keep your food and drinks cool.
- It does not drain the battery – and it can also be plugged into a power outlet.
- The wheels protrude a little ad so they could get caught on something.
4. Icecube 31qt Mini-Series 12V Portable Electric Refrigerator
Whether you are going out camping or travelling in an RV, this freezer will ideally hold things down pretty well. With a 30-liter capacity, you have enough to bring all you require for a family’s weekend get-away. It requires no ice to keep your food and drinks cool, and it will not drain your RV battery by demanding that is be plugged in all night.
This freezer is compact, lightweight and makes such little noise while operating that you will completely forget it is on. Because it completely gets rid of ice, you won’t have blocks reducing the space available for the important stuff. It has a USB charging port for your mobile devices to keep you updated while on the road. An anti-leakage inner tank ensures that everything remains intact and that your items are in the best shape. A digitalized temperature adjustment allows you to go as low as -4ºF.
- It has a 30-liter capacity that is ideal for a weekend.
- Has a USB charging port for mobile devices.
- The handle and two wheels make it easy to transport.
- 30 liters is limited space.
5. ARB 10801352 Portable Fridge Freezer
This ARB 10801352 Portable Fridge Freezer measures 18 x 17 x 30 inches and weighs 52 pounds. It is electric powered and designed to require no ice for refrigeration, which then the 37 quarts of space is available for all your needs.
Its 12V power input readout displays power outpour, while the Bluetooth transmitter enables you to adjust temperature settings anywhere you are. Thanks to the ARB app, you are also able to detect when the fridge needs your attention – such as when a family member leaves the door open. While you cannot close the door remotely, you know it’s open and should be closed. Its large wheels are great for navigating harsh terrain while its handle makes it easy to transport. This freezer is compact, though a little bulky. Without the wheels, it would be difficult to move from place to place.
- Its gun-metal exterior has improved UV protection.
- You can control almost every part of the fridge using the ARB app.
- Has backlit control panel buttons that improve visibility at night.
- The two wheels are quite large and so they get caught on things while navigating.
6. Dometic CFX 95DZW 12v Electric Powered Portable Cooler
This Dometic CFX compressor portable freezer provides excellent cooling services even when power is low. It has a huge capacity – 85 liters, which makes it the ideal companion for weekends out with a large group. Because no ice is needed for cooling, the insulated compartment of this fridge is left free for your foods and drinks. The deep-freeze section can go as low as –7 °F with very little energy consumption. The advanced compressor uses solar too allowing you to go off-grid while still enjoying a few perks of civility.
Dometic’s award-winning CFX series is usually fitted with heavy-duty fixtures to endure anything, and that includes stainless steel hinges, reinforced corners, and robust lid lining. All these are found on this particular model, enabling it to withstand transport in RVs and off-road adventures. It is heavy, thanks to the material used and the sturdy construction, and so the wheels on this freezer are handy during transportation.
- Sturdy construction that enables it to endure of-rods adventures.
- Uses solar too and so you can use if off-grid.
- Large capacity – 85 liters.
- A bit pricey.
7. Ausranvik Car Fridge Portable Freezer
The Ausranvik Car Fridge Portable Freezer keeps food and drinks cool in lows of -4°F, ad its design is ideal for both indoor and outdoor use. Depending on your battery ability you can select between High, Mid and Low protection level. Notably, this freezer keeps everything cold while consuming as little power as possible.
It has a 1.4” thick insulation that is capable of keeping things inside the fridge cool for as long as power is on, while the USB port on its control pane keeps your gadgets charged. The main section has better insulation and is meant to keep things frozen, while the smaller section is ideal for things that you want to stay simply cool. A LED display and touch control enables you to manipulate temperatures even when you are away from the cooler. You can choose between the two main modes; Max – for maximum cooling and Eco for energy saving.
- Two main modes – Max and Eco – depending on the amount of power you have.
- Remote temperature control.
- Thick insulation for effective cooling.
- Quite small – 16-Quart.
8. COSTWAY Car Freezer
This 52-liter capacity freezer is ideal for long hunting and fishing trips, and it is designed in a simple way for these types of adventures. Because it is shock-proof, it can withstand any harsh environment. It has an LCD to show you the settings you have made that you can also easily adjust to suit your needs or battery usage.
The fast-cooling compressor has two modes – Max and Eco – depending on battery usage. It is so fast-cooling that it takes 90 degrees F to 32 degrees F in only 30 minutes! Granted, it will also consume a reasonable amount of power while at it but it does so well you will overlook this. It also has 3 levels of battery protection – High, Low, and Medium. It keeps drinks cool for longer and you can use it with solar power.
Moreover, it is great in many ways, save for the weight – which isn’t a deal-breaker. When empty, it weighs 36lbs and it naturally only gets heavier with each load.
- Large capacity – up to 52 liters.
- Two energy modes.
- A digital LCD for easy control and increased aesthetics.
- Quite bulky – almost 5lbs heavier than most in its category.
9. ICECO Portable Refrigerator
This beautiful ICECO Portable Refrigerator measures 22.4 x 12.6 x 9.1 inches and weighs 19.2 pounds. It has a 12.8-liter capacity that is enough for a small group spending a weekend fishing. This cooler is aesthetically pleasing, a factor that makes most people like it and opt to buy it. It is white with a simple yet effective design. Since it is quite light when empty, almost any adult can carry it from one place to the other comfortably.
In the package, you will find DC cables for both home and outdoor use, making this cooler multi-use. It has three-stage battery protection that prevents your battery from running out when plugged in. the maker gives the compressor a 5-year warranty while every other part is covered for one year. It has an ECU program that protects the cooler when the battery is low as well as current overload protection for when you are on the road.
- Low-voltage protection.
- Has two modes to prevent the draining of your battery.
- Quite light at 19.2lbs.
- The compressor is covered for five years.
- Limited capacity – 12.8 liters.
10. Engel MR040F-U1 40-Qt Portable Tri-Voltage Fridge
This freezer measures 25 x 15.5 x 18.5 inches and weighs 48 pounds. It has removable handles on the side that are quite sturdy and make it easy to carry this heavy set from the car to its designated location. The case opens on the top, allowing you to pick items from the cooler easily. Each part that is steel made is reinforced with corrosion-resistant ABS material to keep this case at your service for long.
The power consumption – 1 to 2 Amps per hour – is quite efficient making this freezer a good investment for outdoor, off-grid adventure. It consumes 40% less power than traditional portable freezers. The manufacturer covers this freezer with a 2-year warranty on workmanship defects for home users and 1 year for commercial users.
- Allows for automatic power selection between AC and DC power.
- Though quite powerful, this compressor operates quietly.
- Heavy-duty outer case and sturdy handles on the side.
- Quite expensive but it is durable.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) on Portable Travel Freezers
Conclusion – Wrapping Up
See? There is something for everyone! All these portable travel freezers are compact and portable, and you can store it until the next time or keep using it. It does its work as it should – keeps your drinks ice-cold and will last a long time as long as you take good care of it. These freezers are reasonably priced and available in several features depending on what you are looking for. From now henceforth, you don’t have to choose between hanging out with your friends outdoors and your preferred drink in a social setting when you can have both.